The symposium “Provitamin A in Iberoamérica: dietary sources and bioavailability of carotenoids” organized by Begoña Olmedilla-Alonso, department of Metabolism and Nutrition, ICTAN-CSIC, and promoted by the Spanish Nutrition Society (SEÑ), will be held under the XVII Latin American Congress of Nutrition (SLAN), 8 -12 November 2015.
– Report on the main dietary sources of provitamin carotenoids (a-carotene, b-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin) and intakes in various Latin American countries.
– Present methodology and data bioaccesibility and bioavailability of provitamin carotenoids from some of the major contributors to the provitamin-A dietary intake.
– Discuss the interest of carotenoids in functional foods.
Topics and speakers:
– Dietary sources of provitamin carotenoids and intake in Latin America. Enrique Murillo (Panamá).
– Provitamin-A bioavailability of carotenoids. Begoña Olmedilla-Alonso (Madrid, Spain).
– Assessment of carotenoids bioavailability by standardized protocol in vitro digestion. Adriana Mercadante (Campinas, Brasil).
– Network CYTED-IBERCAROT: carotenoids and functional foods. Antonio J. Meléndez (Sevilla Spain).
Contacto: Begoña Olmedilla BOlmedillalocalhost