Research Groups: Moléculas bioactivas y biotransformación (MOLBIOTRANS)
Department: Departamento de Caracterización, Calidad y Seguridad
Herraiz has a PhD in Chemistry (Biochemistry), from the Complutense University of Madrid. After a period of work at the University of California, Davis, he obtained a position as Scientist at the CSIC, and later as a Scientific Researcher (CSIC). His research work is dedicated to study of bioactive compounds and their molecular biotransformation into new bioactive and /or toxic species. He has contributed numerous publications and original works on beta-carbolines in foods and plants, their formation and biological activity as well as on the metabolism by oxidoreductase enzymes. TH is author of about 100 scientific publications, with h index (google-scholar) of 33, and a reviewer of more than 45 different scientific journals of several research areas, and also a reviewer of national and foreign research funding agencies.
- Herraiz, T.; Guillen, H. ; González-Peña, D. ; Arán, V.J. Antimalarial quinoline drugs inhibit beta-hematin and increase free hemin catalyzing peroxidative reactions and inhibition of cysteine proteases. Scientific Reports 9, 15398 (2019). DOI: 10.1038/s41598-019-51604-z
- Manzano, J.I.; Cueto-Diaz, E.J.; Olias-Molero, A.I.; Perea, A.; Herraiz, T.; Torrado, J.J. ; Alunda, J.M.; Gamarro, F.; Dardonville, C. Discovery and pharmacological studies of 4-hydroxyphenyl-derived phosphonium salts active in a mouse model of visceral Leishmaniasis. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 62, 10664-10675 (2019). DOI: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b00998.
- Herraiz, T.; Galisteo, J. Nitrosative deamination of 2′-deoxyguanosine and DNA by nitrite, and antinitrosating activity of beta-carboline alkaloids and antioxidants. Food Chem. Toxicol. 112, 282-289 (2018); DOI:10.1016/j.fct.2017.12.042
- Herraiz, T.; Flores, A.; Fernandez, L. Analysis of monoamine oxidase (MAO) enzymatic activity by high-performance liquid chromatography-diode array detection combined with an assay of oxidation with a peroxidase and its application to MAO inhibitors from foods and plants. J. Chromatogr. B-Anal. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci. 1073, 136-144 (2018); DOI: 10.1016/j.jchromb.2017.12.004
- Herraiz, T.; Guillén, H.; Arán, V.J.; Salgado, A. Identification, occurrence and activity of quinazoline alkaloids in Peganum harmala. Food Chem. Toxicol. 103, 261-269 (2017); DOI: 10.1016/j.fct.2017.03.010
- Herraiz, T. N-methyltetrahydropyridines and pyridinium cations as toxins and comparison with naturally-occurring alkaloids. Food Chem. Toxicol. 97, 23-39 (2016); DOI: 10.1016/j.fct.2016.08.009