Home » ICTAN Members » Mercedes Careche Recacoechea
Mercedes Careche Recacoechea
Research Groups: Calidad y Seguridad de Productos de la Pesca y Acuicultura (QUALIFISH)
Department: Department of Meat and Fishery Products
Dr. Mercedes Careche, Research Professor of CSIC. She obtained her PhD in Science by the Universidad Autónoma of Madrid in 1988. She was a postdoctoral visiting scientist (Torry Research Station, Aberdeen, Scotland 1988-1990) & Senior visiting scientist (University of Surrey, England 1994-1995) and performed shorter research visits to laboratories from Canada, Norway, Iceland, or Germany. Her research interests are centered in the quality and safety of seafood products, covering the study of the exposure risk to Anisakis, the mechanisms involved in quality changes and their relation to techno functional properties, and in the development of methods for evaluation of fish quality. She participated in several EU projects in the IV, VI and VII Framework Programmes (FP). In VI FP Integrated Project SEAFOODplus (2004-2008) she was Member of the Executive Management Team, Project leader of CONSUMERPRODUCTS, member of the Council and coordinator of the IPR pillar. She also acted as WP leader and member of the Steering Committee of PARASITE EU project, GA 312068, (2013- 2016), and as coordinator of the Spanish projects ANIDET and ANIRISK. She served as Scientific and Technical Coordinator of the Food Science and Technology Area within CSIC (FSTA) (2009-2012) and before as Deputy Coordinator of FSTA (2008- 2009) and as Deputy Director of the Instituto del Frío (2003-2006). She was nominated CSIC expert in the Program Committee of KBBE Agriculture, Food and Biotechnology (2008-2012), Spanish representative in the Joint Programing Initiative‘A healthy Diet for a Healthy Life’(2009-2011), member of the WG on analytical techniques of the West European Fish Technologists Association (WEFTA) (2013-2019). Since 2019, the Spanish national delegate in WEFTA. In 2019 she received the WEFTA award given scientists who have contributed significantly and outstanding to the fields of seafood science and technology.
- Isabel Sánchez-Alonso, Noelia Carballeda-Sangiao, Miguel González-Muñoz, Alfonso Navas, Susana C. Arcos, Angel Mendizabal, Francisco Cuesta, Mercedes Careche (2020). Freezing kinetic parameters influence allergenic and infective potential of Anisakis simplex L3 present in fish muscle. Food Control 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2020.107373.
- Noelia Carballeda-Sangiao, Isabel Sánchez-Alonso, Alfonso Navas, Susana C Arcos, Pilar Fernández de Palencia, Mercedes Careche, Miguel González-Muñoz (2020). Anisakis simplex products impair intestinal epithelial barrier function and occludin and zonula occludens-1 localisation in differentiated Caco-2 cells. PloS Neglected Tropical Diseases 14(7): e0008462. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0008462.
- Susana C. Arcos, Lee Robertson, Sergio Ciordia, Isabel Sánchez-Alonso, Mercedes Careche, Noelia Carballeda-Sangiao, Miguel Gonzalez-Muñoz and Alfonso Navas (2020). Quantitative Proteomics comparison of total expressed proteomes of Anisakis simplex sensu stricto, A. pegreffii and their hybrid haplotype. Genes 11(8), 913. DOI: 10.3390/genes11080913
- Isabel Sánchez-Alonso, Alfonso Navas, Susana C. Arcos, Miguel González-Muñoz, Noelia Carballeda-Sangiao, Mercedes Careche (2019). Respiratory analysis as a tool to detect physiological changes in Anisakis larvae subjected to stress. Parasitol Res. Apr;118(4), 1127-1135. DOI: 10.1007/s00436-019-06260-7
- Maureen Duflot, Isabel Sánchez-Alonso I, Guillaume Duflos, Mercedes Careche (2019). LF NMR T2 relaxation rate as affected by water addition, NaCl and pH in fresh, frozen, and cooked minced hake. Food Chemistry 277, 229-237. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.10.106
- Isabel Sanchez-Alonso, Noelia Carballeda-Sangiao, Miguel Gonzalez-Muñoz, Alfonso Navas, Susana C. Arcos, Angel Mendizabal, Margarita Tejada, Mercedes Careche (2018). Pathogenic potential of Anisakis L3 after freezing in domestic freezers. Food Control, 84, 61-69. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodcont.2017.07.010
- Evaluation of freshness and shelf-life of fish by selected spectroscopic methods, SEAFOOD SPECTRA, Convocatoria IP-2020-02. Dra. Sanja Vidaček Filipec, Universidad de Zagreb coord. M. Careche WP 2 leader. 2021-2024. Faculty of Food Technology and Biotechnology, Zagreb. Croatian Science Foundation Research Projects. Pendiente de resolución.
- Exposure risk to Anisakis sp. in fish products: Intensity of treatment, infectivity and allergens stability to digestion and intestinal, ANIRISK. Proyecto Coordinado. AGL2015-68248-C2-1-R. Coordinadora e IP subproyecto 1, Mercedes Careche Recacoechea. 1/01/2016-31/12/2019. MINECO/FEDER
+915492300 extensión 231203