Juana Frías Arevalillo
Research Groups: Semillas grano para mejorar la salud (GRAINS4HEALTH)
Department: Departamento de Caracterización, Calidad y Seguridad
Pharmaceutical Doctor from the University of Alcalá de Henares (1993). Since 2010, I lead the GRAINS4HEALTH research group whose main line of research is the production, characterization and validation of biologically active ingredients from legumes and other grains of food interest through sustainable biotechnological processes. I performed my PhD studies at the Institute de Industrial Fermentation (CSIC) and I completed my postdoctoral stage at the Food Research Institute and at the John Innes Institute (Norwich, UK) (1994-1996). My scientific career begins in addressing nutritional aspects of legumes and the effect of processing on their constituents (1990s). Later, it was intensified in the identification of bioactive compounds and their technological and functional quality to be, further, complemented with the development of new sustainable strategies for the production of functional ingredients and the mechanisms of action involved in maintaining health. Since 2009, I am the Spanish Delegate in the Food Chemistry Division working group of the European Chemical Society (EuCheS) and I have been a member of organizing and scientific committees of international conferences. From March 2015 to April 2019 I have been Deputy Director of ICTAN-CSIC and since April 2019 to date I am its Director, a function that I combine with my research career.
- N. Aparicio-García, C. Cristina Martínez-Villaluenga, J. Frias, E. Peñas (2021). Sprouted oat as a potential gluten-free ingredient with enhanced nutritional and bioactive properties. Food Chemistry, 338, article id. 127972. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.127972
- S. Bautista-Exposito, I. Tome-Sanchez, A.B. Martin-Diana, J. Frias, E. Peñas, D. Rico, C. Martinez-Villaluenga. (2020). Enzyme selection and application of hydrothermal and enzymatic treatments under optimal conditions improved phenolic acids solubility, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of wheat bran. Antioxidants, 9, 984. DOI:10.3390/antiox9100984.
- I. Tome-Sanchez, A.B. Martin-Diana, E. Peñas, S. Bautista-Exposito, J. Frias, D. Rico. L. Gonzalez-Maillo, C. Martinez-Villaluenga. (2020). Soluble phenolic composition tailored by germination conditions accompany antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of wheat. Antioxidants, 9, 426, https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox9050426.
- K. E. Coello, J. Frias, C. Martínez-Villaluenga, C. Martínez-Villaluenga, M. E. Cartea, R. Abilleira, E. Peñas. (2020). Potential of germination in selected conditions to improve the nutritional and bioactive properties of Moringa (Moringa oleifera L.). Foods, 9, 1639. Doi: /10.3390/foods9111639.
- S. Bautista-Exposito, E. Peñas, J. Frias, C. Martinez-Villaluenga. (2019). Pilot-scale produced fermented lentil protects against t-BHP-triggered oxidative stress by activation of Nrf2 dependent on SAPK/JNK phosphorylation. Food Chemistry, 274, 750-759. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.09.012.
- P. J. Cáceres, E. Peñas, C. Martínez-Villaluenga, P. Mora, J. Frias. (2019). Development of a novel multifunctional yogurt-like product from germinated brown rice. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 99, 306-312. DOI: 10.1016/j.lwt.2018.10.008.
- Valorization of whole cereal grains for food development with immunomodulation properties addressed to oncohematological patients, (CEREALS4HEALTH).
IP y co-IP: Cristina Martínez Villaluenga y Juana Frias Arevalillo.
Entidad financiadora: MINECO-FEDER.
- Development of improved techno-functional flours for the preparation of healthy products (BIODOUGH).
Investigadores participantes: Elena Peñas Pozo, Juana Frias Arevalillo y Cristina Martínez Villaluenga.
Entidad financiadora: Fondo Europeo Agrario de Desarrollo Rural (FEADER, RIS3)