Joaquín Gómez Estaca
Research Groups: Desarrollo, Valorización e Innovación de Productos de la Pesca (INNOVAPESCA)
Department: Departamento de Productos Cárnicos y Pesqueros
I got my Bachelor and PhD degrees at University Complutense of Madrid in 2002 and 2007, respectively. I performed my PhD in the Development, Valorization and Innovation of Fishery Products Group at the Institute of Refrigeration (IF-CSIC). Afterwards, I performed a series of postdocs at the Packaging Group Lab. (IATA-CSIC, Valencia, Spain) and at the Functional Food Products Lab. (University of São Paulo, Pirassununga, Brazil). From 2012 to present, I develop my research at the Institute of Food Science, Technology and Nutrition (ICTAN-CSIC) (Madrid, Spain) under the frame of several grants or contracts, nowadays with a permanent position (tenured scientist). My main research topics are:
- Valorization of under-utilized raw materials, by-products or waste from agro-food and fishery industries.
- Design of food ingredients with bioactive or technological functionality (structured emulsions, oleogels, micro/nanoparticles) and functional foods (myosystems mainly).
- Design of biopolymeric active coating/packaging materials (antioxidant, antimicrobial).
- Application of hurdle technologies to improve food quality, safety and shelf life of myosystems.
Nowadays, my scientific focus is on the valorization of underutilized raw materials and waste, as well as on the search of alternative biomass sources for food applications, in the context of bioeconomy and circular economy. Specific objectives are the development of biodegradable food packaging materials and novel or functional foods.
During my career I have leaded or collaborated in many projects with public and private institutions or companies at both national and international levels. I have participated in teaching (codirecting of final degree or master theses, teaching in various degrees) and scientific divulgation actives, including invited lectures in scientific meetings and seminars. The main way of communicating of my research results is through the publication of articles in high impact journals (SCI) and through contributions to both national and international congresses.
- Gómez-Estaca, J., Calvo, M.M., Álvarez-Acero, I., Montero, P., and Gómez-Guillén, M.C. 2017. Characterization and storage stability of astaxanthin esters, fatty acid profile and α-tocopherol of lipid extract from shrimp (L. vannamei) waste with potential applications as food ingredient. Food Chemistry, 216, (1), 37-44.
- Use of nanostructures obtained from waste as a strategy to improve biopolymer matrices applied to the active and biodegradable packaging of myosystems.
Investigador Responsable: Joaquín Gómez Estaca
Duración: 01/06/2020 – 31/05/2023
Entidad financiadora: MINECO and Fondo Europeo de Desarrollo Regional (FEDER)