Home » ICTAN Members » Carmen Merodio Moreno
Carmen Merodio Moreno
Research Groups: Biotecnología y Calidad Posrecolección (POSTBIOTEC)
Department: Characterization, Quality and Safety Department
BSc Biology, UCM, Madrid (1980); PhD Biology, Alcalá de Henares University (UAH) (1985); Post-graduate researcher and honorific assistant colaborator in the Department of Plant Physiology at UAH (Prof. Bartolomé Sabater) (1981-1985); Post-doctoral Researcher IF-CSIC (Prof. Jose Luis de La Plaza) (1986-1987), Post-doctoral Researcher at Nottingham University-School of Agriculture (Prof. Donald Grierson) (1988); Tenured Scientist (1989-2009); Research Scientist (2009-). Group Leader of Biotechnolgy and Postharvest Quality at ICTAN-CSIC created in 1990. She leaded the European projects STD2 nº 0266 ES (JR) and TS3* CT93-0205 and 10 Spanish projects (CICTYT). She has participated in 3 Spanish Patents, several contracts with Spanish Agro-food Industries such as nº id CSIC-200370 and different special actions. She has published over 60 scientific papers Q1 and awarded 6 Sexenios.
Research career focused on:
-Protein recovery from agricultural subproducts for human and animal consumption.
-Application of low-cost postharvest technologies for the reduction of pesticide residues in fruit, aiming towards a sustainable and safety postharvest storage.
-Physiological and molecular responses of subtropical fruits, mainly avocado and cherimoya to chilling injury.
-Study of biomarkers of fruit quality and damage based on microstructure and water status.
-Analysis of defence mechanisms associated with the accumulation of procyanidins and fructooligosacharides in fruits treated with high CO2 concentrations.
-Molecular mechanisms and identification of key routes involved in the quality during the shelf-life of strawberries prone to water loss and fungal attack.
-Metabolic responses in climacteric and non-climateric fruits to protective postharvest treatments mainly short-term high CO2 concentrations.
- Romero, I., Domínguez, I., Morales-Diaz, N., Escribano, M.I., Merodio, C., Sanchez-Ballesta, M.T. Regulation of flavonoid biosynthesis pathway by a single or dual short-term CO2 treatment in black table grapes stored at low temperature. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 156:30-38 (2020) Doi: 10.1016/j.plaphy.2020.08.047
- del Olmo, I., Blanch, M., Romero, I., Vazquez-Hernandez, M., Sanchez-Ballesta, M.T., Escribano, M.I., Merodio, C. (2020). Involvement of oligosaccharides and sucrose-related genes on sucrose retention in strawberries from ripening to shelf-life. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 169 – 111301. (2020) Doi:10.1016/j.postharvbio.2020.111301
- Vazquez-Hernandez, M., Blanch, M., Sanchez-Ballesta, M.T., Merodio, C., Escribano, M.I. (2020). High CO2 alleviates cell ultrastructure damage in Autumn Royal table grapes by modulating fatty acid composition and membrane and cell oxidative status during long-term cold storage. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 160:111037 (2020) Doi: 10.1016/j.postharvbio.2019.111037
- Romero, I., Alegria, E., Gonzalez de Pradena, A., Vazquez-Hernandez, M., Escribano, M.I., Merodio, C., Sanchez-Ballesta, M.T. WRKY transcription factors in the response of table grapes (cv. Autumn Royal) to high CO2 levels and low temperature. Postharvest Biology and Technology 150:42-51 (2019). Doi; 10.1016/j.postharvbio.2018.12.011
- Blanch, M., Alvarez, I., Sanchez-Ballesta, M.T., Escribano, M.I., Merodio, C. Trisaccharides isomers, galactinol and osmotic imbalance associated with CO2 stress in strawberries. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 131:84–91 (2017). Doi:10.1016/j.postharvbio.2017.05.008.
- Vazquez-Hernandez, M., Romero, I., Escribano, M.I., Merodio, C., Sanchez-Ballesta, M.T. Deciphering the role of CBF/DREB transcription factors and dehydrins in maintaining the quality of table grapes cv. Autumn Royal treated with high CO2 levels and stored at 0°C. Frontiers in Plant Science, .8 (2017). Doi:10.3389/fpls.2017.01591.
- Title: Holistic analysis of strawberry and table grape quality in the critical phases of postharvest storage using molecular tolos. CALOMICS, AGL2017-85291-R. IP1Carmen Merodio , IP2 María Isabel Escribano. Duración 01/01/2018-31/12/2020, ampliado a 30/09/2021. Entidad financiadora Agencia Estatal de Investigación (AEI) y al Fondo Europeo de Desarrollo Regional (FEDER)
915492300 ext 231316
Scopus Author ID: