Begoña de Ancos Siguero
Research Groups: Calidad y funcionalidad de alimentos vegetales (BIOACTIVEG)
Department: Characterization, Quality and Safety Department
Begoña de Ancos, Organic Chemistry Ph.D. from the Autonomous University of Madrid (UAM), is a Research Scientist at the Institute of Food Science and Technology and Nutrition (ICTAN-CSIC), of which she is Deputy Director since April 2019. She began her research career in the area of Organic Chemistry working in the synthesis of pharmaceutical products with different biological activity (antidepressants, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatories, etc.), in the Department of Organic Chemistry at the UAM of Madrid (1987-1992). Since 1994, she continued her scientific career in the area of Food Science and Technology in the Instituto del Frío (IF-CSIC), later ICTAN-CSIC. In the last twenty years, her work has focused on the following research lines:
a) Chemical and biochemical characterization of plant foods and their components by advanced analytical methods;
b) Study of the biological activity of plant foods (by using cell and animals models, and human intervention studies);
c) Study of the effect of food processing technologies on bioactive compounds, their bioaccessibility and bioavailability (by means of in vitro and in vivo studies);
d) Obtaining of new functional foods and ingredients by the application of non-thermal technologies as high hidrostatic pressure.
Her training was completed with stays in two European Research Centres:
- Scholl of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, England;
- Department of Food and Microbial Technology, Katholic University of Leuven, Belgium.
She has participated in more than 40 research projects financed by regional, national and international public entities. Also, she has participated in several contracts with agri-food companies. She has published 95 articles in international scientific journals and she has supervised 6 PhD Thesis and numerous Grade and Masters projects. She has been a member of organizing and scientific committees of international conferences.
- Fernández-Jalao I, Balderas C, Sánchez-Moreno C, de Ancos B. Impact of an in vitro dynamic gastrointestinal digestion on phenolic compounds and antioxidant activity of apple treated by high-pressure processing. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 66, 102486, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2020.102486
- Fernández-Jalao I, Sánchez-Moreno C, de Ancos B. Effect of high-pressure processing on flavonoids, hydroxycinnamic acids, dihydrochalcones and antioxidant activity of apple ‘Golden Delicious’ from different geographical origin. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 51, 20-31, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2018.06.002
- Fernández-Jalao I, Sánchez-Moreno C, de Ancos B. Influence of food matrix and high-pressure processing on onion flavonols and antioxidant activity during gastrointestinal digestion. Journal of Food Engineering, 213, 60-68, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2017.02.015
- Colina-Coca C, González-Peña D, de Ancos B, Sánchez-Moreno C. Dietary onion ameliorates antioxidant defence, inflammatory response, and cardiovascular risk biomarkers in hypercholesterolemic Wistar rats. Journal of Functional Foods, 36, 300-309, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2017.07.014
- González-Peña D, Checa A, de Ancos B, Wheelock CE, Sánchez-Moreno C. New insights into the effects of onion consumption on lipid mediators using a diet-induced model of hypercholesterolemia. Redox Biology, 11, 205-212, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.redox.2016.12.002
- González-Peña D, Dudzik D, Colina-Coca C, de Ancos B, García A, Barbas C, Sánchez-Moreno C. Multiplatform metabolomic fingerprinting as a tool for understanding hypercholesterolemia in Wistar rats. European Journal of Nutrition, 55(3), 997-1010, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-015-0914-1
- Valorization of Mango and Apple By-products and Wastes as Source of Cytoprotective and Antiinflammatory Encapsulated Bioactive Compounds. BIO-BYFRUIT. PID2019-107980RB-I00. Investigador Principal 1: B. de Ancos, Investigador Principal 2: C. Sánchez-Moreno. 01/06/2020-31/05/2023. Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación (MICINN). Proyecto cofinanciado con Fondos Europeos FEDER (Fondo Europeo de Desarrollo Regional).
- Effect of Plant Functional Food Ingredients on Inflammatory Response, Oxidative Stress Biomarkers, Cardiovascular Parameters and Gut Health in Obesity. INFUN-OBECEMA. AGL2016-76817-R. Investigador Principal 1: C. Sánchez-Moreno, Investigador Principal 2: B. de Ancos. 30/12/2016-29/12/2019 (prorrogado hasta 31/12/2020). Ministerio de Economía, Industria y Competitividad (MINECO). Proyecto cofinanciado con Fondos Europeos FEDER (Fondo Europeo de Desarrollo Regional).